Community Outreach Specialist Opening with
Family Safety Center
The Family Safety Center of Memphis and Shelby County, Inc. is a non-profit organization located in Memphis, TN, whose purpose is to effectively combine civil, criminal, health and social services in order to help victims of family violence. We are seeking a Community Outreach Specialist who is highly motivated and organized to build our volunteer program, including community outreach and events. This position will report to the Executive Director and will be an integral part of the growth of the organization.
This is a grant funded position.
Job Title: Community Outreach Specialist
Reports To: Executive Director
Positions Supervised: None
Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday – Friday
Other as required
Job Summary: Designing and implementing the overall volunteer program including recruitment, training, placement, evaluation, recognition, retention and reporting for all volunteers and interns; coordination of partner meetings and services under grant requirements; assisting with special event planning; and managing the volunteer staffing requirements for internal and external events.
• Conduct outreach to recruit a diverse pool of volunteers.
• Respond to all volunteer inquiries.
• Maintain listings regarding volunteer opportunities.
• Screen and interview volunteer candidates.
• Conduct comprehensive volunteer orientation, including education on the organization’s mission.
• Develop curriculum and materials for all volunteer trainings.
• Implement continuing education for volunteers.
• Develop presentations about domestic violence, children exposed to violence and FSC programs.
Scheduling and Coordination
• Work with staff to determine specific needs for volunteers.
• Create the volunteer’s work schedule.
• Provide a time sheet for the volunteer to record hours worked.
• Maintain a volunteer calendar.
• In conjunction with the work supervisor, complete an valuation/assessment of the work performed.
• Reassign or terminate volunteers as needed.
• Coordinate quarterly partner meetings.
• Coordinate cohesive network response for certain cases.
• Provide support for volunteer chaplaincy program and Voices group.
• Maintain comprehensive database of all volunteers including contact information, availability and skill-set.
• Track all volunteer hours and prepare monthly reports for management.
Retention and Recognition
• Develop and implement a volunteer recognition program.
• Provide on-going follow-up, support and appreciation for all volunteers.
• Implement best practices for volunteer retention.
Special Event Planning
• Assist with planning, coordination and promotion of special events.
• Assist with event logistics including venue, guests, vendors, marketing.
• Assist with event organizing, including name tags, registration, program materials, gift bags, etc.
• Participate in events to promote FSC and expand awareness.
Regularly attend staff meetings.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work with MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
• Requires excellent communication and organizational skills, with ability to speak publicly.
• Requires ability to work independently and with team and volunteers.
• Excellent customer service skills and professional demeanor necessary.
• Ability to work with diverse populations, demonstrating cultural competency and community awareness.
Education and Experience
• Minimum three years administrative experience in a fast paced office setting.
• Minimum one year experience coordinating volunteers, special events and community outreach.
• High school diploma or GED required, bachelor’s degree preferred.
Family Safety Center Mission
Our mission is to provide one location that effectively combines civil, criminal, health and social services for victims of family violence.
Family Safety Center Vision
Our vision is a thriving community that embodies a spirit of compassion, collaboration and progressive change that values mutual respect, safety and serenity for all residents.
Family Safety Center Values
Honesty and Openness Flexibility
Respect and Fairness Dedication
Diversity and Equality
Interested applicants: Please send cover letter and resume with salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: November 12, 2014