JOB OPENING: Director of Communications and Development
The Family Safety Center of Memphis and Shelby County, Inc. is a non-profit organization located in Memphis, TN, whose purpose is to effectively combine civil, criminal, health and social services in order to help victims of family violence. We are seeking a Director of Communications and Development who is highly motivated and organized to build our communications, marketing and development programs. This position will report to the Executive Director and will be an integral part of the growth of the organization.
Job Title: Director of Communications and Development
Reports To: Executive Director
Positions Supervised: Community Outreach Specialist
Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday – Friday
Other as required
Job Summary: Responsible for marketing, communications, community outreach and fundraising efforts in support of achieving organizational goals and sustainability. Creates, develops, coordinates and implements the organization’s marketing, promotions, public and community relations programs to ensure visibility, awareness and education in our service area. Will develop new relationships, strengthen existing relationships and provide support to the overall organizational development strategy.
Marketing and Communications:
- Develop an integrated marketing and communications system to raise brand awareness and focus on increased demand for services and philanthropic support through coordination of multi-channel marketing campaigns.
- Use print, electronic messaging, websites, social media, photography/videography, programs, inventions, advertising, and media relations to tell compelling stories that explain the organization’s benefits in a tangible way to stakeholders.
- Coordinates all aspects of internal and external communications, including news media, print/electronic publications, web site and social media initiatives.
- Handles media relations including news and crisis communications.
- Provides marketing support and advice for the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- Arranges for interviews with personnel for print and broadcast media.
- Composes correspondence, media messages, articles, press releases, announcements, presentations and other oral and written communications.
- Coordinates the photography needs of the organization.
Community Relations and Awareness:
- Establishes, nurtures and maintains positive external relationships with individuals, businesses, and community-based organizations in support of organizational outreach efforts.
- Work with individuals, groups, and businesses to coordinate and facilitate sponsored/donated third party events.
- Performs presentations to service clubs, community groups and potential funding organizations, providing consistent messages to educate and recruit new support.
- Oversees the organization’s volunteer programs and supervises the Community Outreach Specialist.
- Promotes the organization and informs, educates, and engages the general public for awareness of the goals and mission.
Development and Fundraising:
- Increase fundraising capacity by increasing donor giving and event income in order to maintain current programs, enable future growth, and ensure financial stability for the organization.
- Work closely with the Board Special Events Committee in organizing successful fundraising events, including handling event details and acquiring sponsors.
- Perform daily functions of gift solicitation including coordinating, maintaining and evaluating direct mail campaigns.
- Works closely with the Executive Director in preparing quality proposals, including case statements and development of compelling messages for support.
- Maintains donor database and provides donor acknowledgments as well as maintenance of donor records, report preparation and monitoring results and effectiveness of fund development programs.
Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and current desktop publishing software.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, with ability to speak publicly.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team and with volunteers.
- Excellent customer service skills and professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, demonstrating cultural competency and community awareness.
- Demonstrated knowledge of public relations, media relations, print, electronic media, graphic design and publications.
- Ability to tell a story and help others share their own stories.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to exercise tact and to demonstrate sensitivity to issues involved with organization’s mission.
- Strong empathy and commitment to victim’s issues.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, communications, nonprofit management, public administration, or public relations.
- Minimum of five years of communications and marketing experience and/or fund development experience. Mission-driven nonprofit experience a plus.
Family Safety Center Mission
Our mission is to provide one location that effectively combines civil, criminal, health and social services for victims of family violence.
Family Safety Center Vision
Our vision is a thriving community that embodies a spirit of compassion, collaboration and progressive change that values mutual respect, safety and serenity for all residents.
Family Safety Center Values
Honesty and Openness Flexibility
Respect and Fairness Dedication
Diversity and Equality
Interested applicants: Please send cover letter and resume with salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: March 24, 2015